Mar 20, 2012

Interview with Erika Osvath, Jennifer Verschoor and Bruno Andrade | Glasgow Online

 Interview with Erika Osvath, Jennifer Verschoor and Bruno Andrade | Glasgow Online

It's really great to see a teacher from Buenos Aires at the Glasgow IATFL Conference 2012.  Congrats Jennifer!!
I'm also a business English teacher and I couldn't agree more with Jennifer when she says that when technology is used to teach Business English, students do not only learn English but also become familiar with technological tools. Last year, I taught  a couple of students from the IT area of  a pharmaceutical company among other students from other areas,  and I was really surprised to see that apart from teaching them English, I taught them how to use technology and 2.0 tools!! Funny, isn't it? I taught computing geniuses how to squeeze a computer with the aim of learning a language. They were very motivated and they found all the tools and material I presented them with very engaging.
As a teacher, I believe that technology always boosts adult learner's autonomy. Contrary to what we may believe, in my opinion, adults are more teacher dependent than children and teens. They have the prejudice that in order to learn, they just have to sit back and wait for the teacher to teach them. We all know this thought is wrong and that learning only takes place when the active role in on the learners´side.
How does technology help students be active participants in class? In the classroom, by using this tool to play, to create content, to listen to themselves, to go beyond the classroom´s walls. Why does it help my students to be autonomous learners outside the face to face lesson?  Because most of the learning process takes place outside the classroom. and technology gives my  students, their teacher's (me) remote support and company by posting videos, listenings an many other activities that are tailor-made and cater for my students' needs, which they consequently want to work on.

No comments: